Cuddling with Grandpa

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Where have the months gone?

It has been so long since I have sat down and blogged. I don't know where the time has gone!
I spent a wonderful week in Parksville with my daughter and her husband. It was a relaxing and peaceful week. Oh my, they have a lovely home and a quaint community to nest in. I spent wonderful hours with them touring the area and spotting birds such as eagles, Brandt geese and rosy colored finches. The most amusing sight was that of the mule deer who have no fear of civilization.There is no hunting allowed on the Island so they are very calm and meander at will. I was amused  to see them standing on the front step of an affluent  home and acting as though they really lived there!
We spent an hour at my aunt and uncle's yard and beach. It was a time of contemplation and memories for me!
I took a picture of my uncle's license plate which is still on the van. Uncle Bill was an amputee as a result of his WW2 injuries.
 He met my aunt while he was a patient in Shaunessy Hospital where she worked. They found solace in nature and had a special fondness for birds, It was especially poignant to spy the bright red cardinal carving  with the word Bye on it that one would read as they drove away from the yard.
I also had a short visit with my sister and her fellow who came over from Langley. She has been very ill so it was good see her beginning to recover from her latest battle. They all took me to Comox for my flight home.  As we drove down the hill into the city the SnowBirds flew up in a formation. Rod grinned as he said it was my special goodbye from the Island. In reality, the Snowbirds practice there every day. It was a breathtaking sight though and is embedded in my memory bank.
AS I sat in my seat on the plane waiting for the take off I silently sent a toast to my BC family.May their lives be enriched as they live amid such beauty. Mother Nature surely blessed our western province.
Cheers from Donna

2 comments:

  1. I would love Parksville with the mule deer roaming around. How fun! I'm glad you had a wonderful trip. It's always good to reconnect with family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mom..we 'loved' spending time with you and showing you our favorite spots! It was fun. We are looking forward to your next visit..and treating Dad to some West Coast hospitality!!So pleased you took back wonderful memories xoxo

    ReplyDelete